Cinema advertising in India is one of the fastest growing advertising option. Rates for cinema advertising in India depends on the cinema chain, location, number of screens and media type.
Multiplex Advertising and Single Screen advertising are two broad categories for advertising.
While Multiplex advertising is popular to target cinema viewers in metro cities of India, Single Screen advertising is popular advertising choice in Tier II cities of India and rural India.
In total there are about 10,000 cinema screens available for advertising in India. About 30% of these screens are multiplex cinemas and remaining are single screens.
One can get cinema advertising rates from a cinema adverting agency. The Media Ant is one of the largest cinema advertising agency in India and present across metro cities.
We provide the best cinema advertising rates with discounts to our clients.
Cinema Advertising In India
While Cinema screens are present across the country, there are certain cities and regions which are very popular among the advertisers.
You can find best rates, discounts and others details for cinema advertising at The Media Ant for the cities of Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad, Indore, Patna, Ahmedabad, Allahabad, Andhra Pradesh, Ghaziabad, Gurgaon, Kochi, Noida, Surat and Vadodara.
In addition to these large cities and state of Andhra Pradesh, you can find best rates for cinema advertising across any city in India from our Cinema Planning Tool.
TMA’s Cinema planning tool is online and free.
Why Cinema Advertising?
Why would one plan to watch a Marvel superhero movie in a multiplex screen and not on one’s laptop screen? It’s all about the experience. So, people opt for Cinema Advertising.
- Larger than life experience of the brand message
- Captive audience, one does not have the option of changing channel or forwarding
- Affordable and scalable: local businesses advertise at the nearest cinema halls whereas pan India brands like Manyavar target cinema halls across India
- Cost per reach for cinema advertising is less than other non-traditional advertising options
Cinema Advertising: What are the available options?
One can opt for any of these options based on budget and requirements:
- 10 sec mute slide: Static slides with 2 to 3 transitions within 10 seconds
- 10 sec Audio Slide: Static slides with background score within 10 seconds
- 30 sec Video: 30 sec Video played on screen
- 60 sec Video: 60 sec Video played on screen
You can visit the link to look for the options.
Cinema Advertising: Is it costly?
Cost per reach for cinema advertising is less than other non-traditional advertising options and cinema advertising is a great medium for localized reach.
For example, ABC is a fine dining multi-cuisine restaurant in Phoenix Marketcity, Bangalore. It wants to advertise to the mall visitors in an effective and economical way.
It decides to advertise on PVR Screen 3 in the Phoenix Marketcity which has a seating capacity of 214 people and costs Rs 282 per second.
Cost of running a slide ad of 10 sec for a week= Rs 2820 + 18% GST = INR 3328
The expense for creating the slide= minimal
Cost of conversion to J2k= INR 1750 (will be explained in the next question)
Considering avg fill rate of the movie hall to be 80% for the week,
Total people exposed to the advertisement= 214*4*0.8*7= 4790
So for a cost of INR 5100, ABC can reach about 4790 people through cinema advertising so the cost per reach would be in the range of Re 1-2.
So, to know the actual rates, you can visit the media ant cinema product page.
Cinema Advertising: What do I need to do?
Following are the steps for cinema advertising:
- Campaigns can only start on a Friday. The ad needs to be provided and payment needs to be completed by Wednesday 5pm
- Cinema Halls require your ad to be in a format that is compatible with cinema screen playing. Most of the Multiplex cinema screens require the ad to be in J2K format. There is an additional cost of conversion for video ads and slide ads
- Cinema advertising in the form of video ads needs a censor certificate which would incur additional charges. This takes around 2 weeks so it has to be planned accordingly.
How would I know if my advertisement has been placed?
- We would provide you with cinema inspection pass for Multiplex cinema advertising campaigns that you can use and visit the theatres to watch your ad being played
- Singles screens cinema campaigns do not come with inspection passes. Single screens share the contact number or log report at the end of the campaign.
Top 10 Cinema Halls In India
Before March 2020, visiting cinema halls was one of the biggest sources of out-of-home entertainment in India. Whether stand-alone or located in a shopping mall, cinema halls have been one of the most preferred destinations for hyperlocal advertising.
From retail stores to restaurants to real estate, brands have always relied on cinema advertising to spread their message to the premium captive audience in a relaxed environment.
Here are the top ten cinema halls (media pages) that advertisers have visited the most in the last three years (Source: TMA website visitors data)
Forum Mall is located in Koramangala 6th Block. One of the most oldest and prominent malls in the city, located in one of the busiest localities of Bangalore,Forum mall attracts a very high traffic all though the year.
It houses several popular brands and stores like Westside, More, Landmark, Adidas, Aldo, Nike, Apple, FabIndia, Marks & Spencers, Tommy Hilfiger, Label Ritu Kumar, and many more. Undoubtedly, PVR Forum Mall Bengaluru is one of the most sought after cinema hall for in-cinema advertising.
With 11 screens and 1937 seats, PVR Forum Mall Bengaluru is one of the largest cinema halls in Bengaluru.
Check all advertising options in Forum Mall Bengaluru
2. PVR Lulu International Shopping Mall Kochi
Lulu International Shopping Mall is located in Edappally area of Kochi. One of the largest shopping malls in India in terms of area, Lulu Mall receives very high footfall, almost a lakh per day. Opened in the year 2013, this is the first project of Lulu Group International in India.
The mall has more than 225 outlets that includes Lulu Hypermarket, Westside, Marks & Spencers, Vero Moda and many more. PVR located in Lulu Mall is one of the most visited cinema halls in Kochi. PVR Lulu International Shopping Mall Kochi has 9 screens and 1948 seats.
Check all advertising options in Lulu International Shopping Mall Kochi
3. PVR Inorbit Mall Hyderabad
Inorbit Mall is located in Madhapur area of Hyderabad. Also known as Inorbit Mall Cyberabad, this mall is one of the most popular shopping malls in Hyderabad and receives more than 1.4 million footfalls per month.
The mall has several well-known brand outlets like H&M, Hamleys, Home Centre, Home Town, Shoppers Stop, Marks & Spencers, Lifestyle and many more. PVR Inorbit Mall Hyderabad has 6 screens and 947 seats.
Check all advertising options in Inorbit Mall Hyderabad.
4. INOX BMC Bhawani Mall Bhubaneshwar
Bhawani Mall is located in Shaheed Nagar area of Bhubaneshwar and is one of the most popular shopping destinations of the city. Having a total floor area of 6 lakh sq feet, the mall has close to 200 outlets including INOX. INOX BMC Bhawani Mall has 3 screens and a total of 960 seats.
5. PVR Ambience Mall Gurugram
Ambience Mall is located on NH8 in sector 24 in Gurgaon. With a retail area of 18 lakh square feet, Ambience Mall Gurgaon is one of the largest shopping malls of India. Situated very close to the Cyber City, Ambience Mall is very popular among working professionals.
With more than 230 stores and outlets, the mall houses popular brands like Zara, Anita Dongre, Anokhi, Aldo, Armani Exchange, Swarovski and many more. PVR Ambience Mall Gurgaon has 7 screens and a total of 1122 seats.
Check all advertising options in Ambience Mall Gurgaon
6. Sathyam Cinemas Royapettah Chennai
Sathyam Cinemas Royapettah is a standalone multiplex located in Royapettah since 1974. Spread across six floors, Sathyam Cinemas is a very popular entertainment destination in Chennai with restaurants, ice cream parlors, patisserie and gaming facilities available in the same premises. Sathyam Cinemas has 6 screens and a total of 2283 seats.
7. PVR Fun City Mall New Delhi
Fun City Mall is located in Prashant Vihar in New Delhi. It’s one of the popular malls in Prashant Vihar Delhi. PVR Fun City Mall has 3 screens and a total of 750 seats.
8. PVR 4D Square Mall Ahmedabad
4D Square Mall is located in Chandkheda in Ahmedabad. It’s one of the popular malls in Ahmedabad. PVR 4D Square Mall has 4 screens and a total of 1102 seats.
9. Cinepolis Fun Republic Mumbai
Fun Republic Mall is located in Andheri Mumbai. Spread over an area of 1.3 lakh sq feet, the mall is popular for it’s multiplex Fun Cinemas now owned by Cinepolis and other facilities for gaming and food and beverages like Fun Gaming, Wild Wild West, Firangi Paani etc. Cinepolis Fun Republic Mall has 4 screens and 904 seats.
10. PVR Phoenix Market City Pune
Phoenix Market City Mall is located in Viman Nagar in Pune. With a retail area of 12 lakh square feet, Phoenix Market City Mall is one of the largest shopping malls of Pune.
With 4 floors of retail space, the mall houses popular brands like Lifestyle, Marks & Spencers, Zara, H&M, Home Centre, Home Town and many more. PVR Phoenix Market City Pune has 9 screens and a total of 1921 seats.
How to do Local Brand Promotions through Cinema Halls?
Brand Promotions in Local areas through Cinema Halls – Why is it a good option?
Cinema Halls are a good option for brand promotions in local areas because:
- Cost of advertising in cinema halls is low.
- There are many cinema halls (single screen and multiplex) across a city so area wise targeting through cinema advertising can be done unlike radio advertising and local TV channel advertising.
- Unlike newspaper and digital advertising where the audience can avoid the ads easily, the audience in a cinema hall is captive.
Through this case study, we would learn how to plan and book a cinema advertising campaign and also calculate the average expected cost per reach.
Case Study: Local Promotions for a Milk Based Beverage Brand
The advertiser is a national brand of milk-based cold beverages that wants to promote its latest range of drinks in Bangalore. It has 10 stores across the following locations:
- Commercial Street
- Marks Road
- Sarjapur Main Road
- JP Nagar
The target group for the brand is Urban, Age Group 15-35
Since the call to action here is to visit the stores and try out their latest range of drinks, cinema advertising seems to be the best option because:
- There are cinema halls present around these locations and advertisements in each cinema hall can direct the audience to the nearest store.
- About 80% of the moviegoers would fall under the target audience category for the brand.
- People watching movies are in a relaxed mood and are more likely to respond positively to advertisements of food & beverages.
Next step is to find out the cinema halls around these locations. Following is the list of cinema halls nearest to the locations:
The campaign duration is 2 weeks and all the available screens have to be covered.
For advertising in cinema halls, the advertisers have two ad format options: Slideshow Advertisement and Video Advertisement. In our case, it is a 10-second slideshow which has to be played out during the movie interval.
So, the next step is to make a query regarding the prices, negotiate and book the prices.
We can do it through any of the following options:
- Contact every cinema hall chains individually and book the campaign. (Simpler in this case as most of the cinema halls belong to INOX but in case of different chains and single halls, it would be time-consuming)
- Hire a media agency which is a good option but can be costlier.
- Use The Media Ant platform for free to book a campaign at a discounted price within 5 minutes and leave your execution worries to us.
Below is a screenshot of the campaign order. You can also check the campaign booking process through the process video here.
Thus, the cost of advertising in cinema halls for 30 cinema screens for a week for a 10 sec slideshow ad in Bangalore is INR 103332.60. This cost would differ from case to case depending on
- The cinema chains
- The number of seats
- The location
Now that we have booked our campaign, let’s make a rough calculation of our cost per reach.
Following are our assumptions:
- The average occupancy rate of movie halls in India is 60%
- The audience is unique for every show
- Each screen plays 4 shows per day
From the campaign order booked, we can find out:
The total number of seats = 6758
Total occupancy = 6758*0.6 =4055
Total number of shows per week= 7*4= 28
So, the total number of people exposed to ads = 4055*28 =113535
Hence, the Cost per Reach would be = INR (103333/113535) ~INR 0.91
Since, only 80% of the audience would be the target audience, the effective Cost per Reach= INR (0.91/0.80)= INR 1.14
We can see in this example above, how cinema advertising can be effective for local area wise promotions for brands. You can also visit our site or contact us at Help@TheMediaAnt.Com to check if cinema advertising is the best option for your brand.
Watching movie is one of the most popular pastime activities in India. Cinemax is one of the popular choices in the Movie Chain options.
Cinemax Movie Hall Chain
Cinemax (Cinemax India Ltd) had 138 screens across India. It was owned by Kanakia group but later changed hands in 2014 to PVR.
Why Should One Opt For Cinemax Movie Theatre Advertising?
PVR after acquiring the movie theatre chain Cinemax has become the biggest cinema hall chains in India. PVR has a total of more than 600 movie theatres available for advertising nationwide.
Movie Theatre Advertising is a very good option for businesses that are looking for low budget campaigns. The movie hall audience is a captive audience with eyeballs set on a huge cinema screen that ensures the high impact of the message being sent across.
Where Can I Find Cinemax Cinema Advertising Rate Card?
The brand Cinemax does not exist anymore but has been merged into the brand PVR so one can always visit The Media Ant’s page for PVR to book ad spots in Cinemax Movie Halls.
The available options are slide advertising without audio, slide advertising with audio and video advertising. For video advertising, one needs a censor certificate too which can be availed with the assistance of the Cinema Advertising Agencies.
What is Multiplex Cinema Advertising?
Cinema advertising industry in India is very fragmented with a large number of players.
However over last few years, there has been consolidation in the Indian Multiplex industry and few large popular cinema chain have emerged. Popular among these cinema chains are multiplex cinema screen operators like PVR, Cinepolis, Inox, City Pride, DT Cinema, Mayajal, Sathyam Cinemas and Wave Cinema.
Of these chains PVR, Cinepolis and Inox have pan india presence and garner the maximum share among the advertising revenue.
You can find best advertising rates for all cinema chains in India at our online planning tool.
About Cinema Advertising Options
In-cinema advertising refers to on-screen and off-screen branding that consumers see in theatres.
Popular On Screen advertising options are 10 second mute slide also referred to as cinematic slide and 30 sec video ad.
You can find rates for slide and video advertising for all cinema screens including Multiplexes at The Media Ant.
Popular variation of 10 sec slide is audio added to it as a background audio.
In video 60 sec ads are also played by few brands.
Off Screen cinema advertising refers to brand placement at cinema premises. Popular off screen advertising options are standees, voucher distribution and billboards posters in the cinema premises.
Other options in off screen cinema advertising includes options ranging from seats, audi name(or door), lobby, wall, floor, box office, security check point, popcorn counter, lift, kiosk, product display, staircase, washroom, ticket jackets, interactive zones or kiosks, poster box and sampling.
Innovative Advertising Options in Cinemas
Cinemas are open to innovations that work for the brand. Send the requirement to your cinema agency for innovative advertising ideas in cinema hall.
Few of the innovative cinema campaigns executed by us includes Bike launch in the theatre, creating product experience zone to on screen and off screen integration of ad
Cinema Advertising Examples In India
FAQs for Cinema Advertising in India
What do I get for these rates?
1. Your ad is played minimum 3 times per day and maximum 5 times per day
2. Ad is played once during the show. You can choose interval or before the start of the movie
3. The rate is for a Week
Are the rates same for all the weeks?
No. Multiplexes charge a premium for blockbuster movies. The premium can be 2X to 3X depending on the movie
Please check for the list of blockbuster movies
Are there any other charges involved?
1. Conversion of your ad to the Cinema format (J2K or MPEG4)
2. Additional cost of Rs 1,750 for slide ads and Rs 2,500 for video ads
3. Censor certificate is required for running video ads
4. We assist in getting the certificate for an additional fee of Rs 8,500
5. It takes 2 working weeks to get the certificate
What are the timelines for Cinema Advertising?
1. Cinema Campaign can only start on a Friday
2. Creative and payment needs to be completed by Wednesday 5pm
What is the proof that my ad is being played?
1. Inspection pass will be provided on Monday morning
2. In – person inspection can be done by the client anytime
3. Please write back to us for arranging the inspection
4. Single screens share the contact number or log report at the end of the campaign
What format is required for Cinema?
“1. Slide – 2048 pixel (W) x 858 pixel (H) JPEG Image in 300 dpi resolution”
2. Video – MOV or MP4 (High resolution)
3. Audio File – WAV