- TV Advertising during IPL or Hotstar IPL Advertising : Which is better?
In our last articles, we discussed ‘What’s New for Advertisers in IPL 2022’ and ‘All You Wanted To Know About IPL Sponsorships and Advertising’.
If you are confused regarding the cost of advertising on IPL Hotstar, do check our IPL 2022 Hotstar Budget Calculator.
You can request for the IPL 2022 Advertising Budget Calculator from here.
This led to many clients asking us if advertising on Hotstar is a better idea than advertising on Television. This article hopes to answer all such questions and would also talk about other advertising options for IPL 2022.
Why advertise in IPL?
India holds cricket close to its heart. IPL is the biggest celebration of cricket in the country. Advertising in IPL on Hotstar would mean capturing the attention of a highly engaged male-dominated Indian audience across the country, especially urban areas.
Where should you advertise during IPL 2022?
How much would I need to spend to advertise in IPL?
If your advertising budget for IPL 2022 is
INR 5 lakhs and more: Video Advertising on Hotstar
If your budget is limited to INR 5 Lakh and above, video advertising can be a good option. Starting at INR 210 per CPM, an advertising budget of INR 5 lakh can buy you enough impressions to cover a single high-impact match.
INR 1 Crore and more: Video Advertising on Television
Advertising on television is the best advertising option when last-mile reach and cost per reach are considered. Even though per spot advertising rates for IPL appear to be very high, the impact television advertising during IPL 2022 would have would also be manifold. With a 10-sec spot starting from 16 lakhs, the minimum budget required to advertise during a single match would be about INR 1 Crore.
INR 25 Crore and more: Video Advertising on Television plus Hotstar
With a budget of more than 25 crores, advertisers would be in a comfortable position to increase their reach by targeting a TV audience as well as the Hotstar app audience.
Who can I reach out to buy advertising in IPL 2022?
If your audience targeting strategy for IPL 2022 is:
Pan-India with mass reach
For a pan India mass targeting, nothing can be better than TV advertising as it would not only ensure the lowest cost per reach but also would help boost the brand awareness by manifold as compared to digital advertising. This option would be best for national brands with mass targeting like FMCG brands.
If your target audience is limited to an area/region, gender, or age group, advertising on Hotstar would be better.
IPL 2021 Stats
IPL 2021 on TV (Source: BARC India)
- IPL 2021 viewership on TV was 458 Million, which was 51% more than the combined reach of Big Boss, Indian Idol, Kapil Sharma Show, KBC, and Super Dancer.
- IPL 2021 had 9.6 TVR, which is the highest-rated group stage match in the history of IPL.
- IPL viewership on TV is dominated by males, NCCS A+B
- Female viewership during IPL 2021 was 200 million which was a 27% more than the combined reach of 5 GEC channels.
- Majority of the audience prefers to watch cricket matches in the regional languages.
Image Source: Star Sports
IPL 2021 on Hotstar (Source: Hotstar IPL Watch Report)
- 300 Mn viewership.
- 5x growth in watch time as compared to the previous year.
- ~58% of urban India reached.
- 120 Mn highlights viewers of IPL 2021.
- The audience watching IPL is more engaged than other audiences on Hotstar/YouTube.
Image Source: Hotstar
Want to know more? Write to us at Help@TheMediaAnt.com
Or check out the advertising rates for IPL 2022 advertising
For TV Advertising: https://www.themediaant.com/television/star-sports-1-advertising
For Hotstar Advertising: https://beta.themediaant.com/digital/ipl-2022-on-hotstar-app-advertising