Week of 16th Jan 2023
IPL 2023 Schedule
The final IPL 2023 Schedule is expected to be out in the first week of February. The start date is likely to be 1st April and the 58-day tournament will come to an end sometime around May end. The expected date for its final is kept as 28th May.
Women IPL 2023 Teams
The five Women IPL teams are all set to compete against one another for the championship that is expected to start in early 2023. Top businesses as well as bollywood celebrities are in line to purchase the teams’ franchises- the list of interested companies are said to be around 30- that includes giants like Adani Group and Capri Global.
Women IPL 2023 Broadcast Rights
Viacom has secured the media rights for Women’s IPL 2023 for a total of Rs 951 Crore for the next five years (2023-27), with per match valuation set around 7.09 Crore. The rights are for three categories – linear (TV), digital and combined (TV and digital).
Week of 9th Jan 2023
IPL 2023 TV Broadcast
- With an aim of making IPL viewership “bigger than ever” and to get the “highest ever reach”, Disney Star, which has retained IPL’s TV rights, is looking to reach 70% (500 Mn) of the total sports audience (730 Mn) by broadcasting the much loved IPL series over 20 channels and across 11 languages.
IPL 2023 Digital Streaming
- To enhance the audiences’ match viewing experience by making it “superior than ever before” and to ensure the widest coverage, Viacom is all set to include the option of free viewing for the digital streaming of IPL 2023.
- This disruption of the live streaming market is expected to increase the platform’s viewership and consecutively rope in lucrative investment from advertisers.
Women’s IPL Team
- The unveiling of Women IPL 2023 franchises is expected to be done by BCCI on Jan 25th. Till now, eight of the 10 men’s IPL franchises will be seen participating in the bid to own the WIPL teams.
- The announcement of the winning cities along with the franchises will also be done by the BCCI on the same day.
Women’s IPL Media Rights Auction
- The media rights auction for Women’s IPL’23 is now going to be held on 16th January’23 with giants like Disney+ Star, Sony-ZEE and Viacom18 competing to bag the rights.
- As per e4m’s reports, the media rights are expected to bring the cricket board Rs 8-10 crore per match and around Rs 160-200 crore from the 20 matches in the tournament.
Women’s IPL Player Auction Date
- The player auction of WIPL will be held in February (no dates out yet) and the base price for players has been divided into five categories– from Rs. 10 lakh to Rs. 50 lakh. The deadline for the auction registration is January 26 and all players- whether capped or uncapped have been asked to register online.
- For the capped players, Three “reverse pricing” categories-INR 50 lakh, INR 40 lakh, and INR 30 lakh- will serve as the starting point for bidding. For uncapped players, the two types of base price is set at INR 20 lakh and INR 10 lakh.
IPL Mini Auction
- Thanks to IPL ‘23 mini auction, Star Sports has recorded a growth of 35% in cumulative reach for its IPL TV coverage.
- The event was viewed by 50 million on Star Sports with the overall consumption standing at 1.59 billion minutes (10% higher compared to the 2021 mini-auction).
IPL Ad Rates
- Amidst a recession-scared market, the rate card shared by Disney Star shows a hike of 10% for sponsorship deals and 10 sec spots, against the 2022 rates.
- The ad rate for IPL 2021 was Rs 14-15 lakh per 10 seconds and for 2022, it is Rs 16.5 lakh-Rs 18 lakh per 10 seconds.